Thursday, October 21, 2010

I guess I DO like my job...

So the Hawaii Cru team is mostly based at UH Manoa, but we actually also work on a few different smaller universities/community colleges. I'm specifically assigned to go to Kapiolani Community College every Tuesday with two other staff members, and this past Tuesday was my first day on "KCC". It's a beautiful campus, just above the base of Diamond Head, and there are some really nice views of the ocean. But what was really exciting was that Natalie (Intern with EPIC- the Asian-American movement of CCC) and I showed up a couple of hours early and got to go out "sharing". That's just what we call it when we go out onto campus, meet students we don't know and try to have spiritual conversation with them. So we spent about an hour and a half and got to have some legit spiritual conversations with 3 students.

Today, I did "Talk Story" (Hawaii Cru's weekly version of going out sharing) and got to go with a junior girl named Donna. She had gone out sharing with Karisa (our girl director) before but had never initiated. Well, today was her chance! After having me initiate in a conversation with a buddhist hapa girl from LA, she was ready and I got to accompany her as she initiated conversation by doing a spiritual survey with an agnostic local girl who'd done her undergrad studies at Harvard. It was a fanTAStic conversation, and Donna said she had a lot of fun doing it!

Honestly, a few years ago I never would've imagined myself saying this, but I'd really missed going out sharing. Because of the busy schedule during support raising, I hadn't done it since New Staff Training back in July! And that was just twice- once at Daytona Beach, and once University of Central Florida's campus.

It felt so good to go out onto campus as an ambassador for Christ, meeting and developing relationships with students and helping them along in their spiritual journey. I love that it's part of my job, and I love that I love doing it. Thank You, Lord, for this blessing :)

No comments: