Wednesday, September 1, 2010

NOM

Like I've said, it's been a blast meeting with a bunch of people and getting to tell them about the ministry I'm involved in and such. The conversations have all been so refreshing and encouraging. But there's another perk to this support-raising period of my life: FOOD.

I've been meeting with people all over Southern California, and they all have local places that they like that they've been taking me to. So I'm getting to discover some sweet socal finds. Here are just a few:

- The Counter: These gourmet build-your-own burgers are out of this world. All the ingredients are super fresh, the meat is sustainable, hormone/antibiotic-free yumminess, and the choices are endless. Choose from 12 different cheeses (like Tillamook cheddar, Gruyere, soft-ripened Brie), 21 toppings (like awesome grilled onions, roasted green chiles, hard boiled eggs), 21 sauces (like chipotle aioli- SO GOOD, horseradish mayo, ginger soy glaze), and even 5 buns and 5 meats. The sweet potato fries are also legit. The Surprise-I'm-Awesome Award goes to the veggie patty. It's the best veggie burger I've had. Thanks, Lisi Keye.

- The Habit: Apparently LA is becoming one of America's top burger hot spots. This Santa Barbara-born joint makes super fresh, charbroiled burgers. It's not so much variety- just quality. A good, solid, tasty, fresh burger with a side of hefty onion rings makes for a great lunch! Thanks, Will Liu.

- Alcove: I hate driving to Los Feliz, but once I'm there, I'm in love. It's a trendy neighborhood, lined with cool cafes and bars. Alcove is simultaneously cute and cool. Everyone there's definitely hipster and the menu is super west coast with its selection of paninis, salads, breakfast dishes, most with fresh and healthy ingredients (lots of fruits and veggies). And yet it's a small building with a big front patio area with garden lights and "cute" seating. My apple and brie panini was yummy. And I hear they have a great bakery. Thanks, Lana Sanfilippo.

- House of Breakfast: Kind of a hole-in-the-wall place on Olympic and 5th. The place is owned by a Japanese-American family. Classic breakfasts with a slight Hawaiian twist- spam and eggs, Portuguese sausage, etc. And REALLY good pancakes. Don't know what it is about them- they're just good. Thick, fluffy, and totally tasty. Friendly service too. And it's so close to where I live! Thanks, Dave Kleinknecht.

- Shoops: It's half European market (Swedish, Danish, German imported goods) half delicatessen. Lots of heart and healthy options. The place feels very local- it's on Main St in Santa Monica and doesn't feel at all like a snooty tourist trap kind of place. Urth Caffe (which is also great) is across the street but it has such a different, more pretentious feel. I loved Shoops' feel, service, and food- the wraps are great. Thanks, Jed Bunkowski.

Plenty others... these are just a few of the places I've tried out in the last couple of weeks. Check them out! :)

No comments: